Work permit for international students in Canada

Foreign/international students who hold a valid Canada study permit and are enrolled in a Canadian Educational Institution have various options pertaining to working/employment in Canada. If you are not sure about your situation, create a free account, and one of our agents will get back to you.

Quick Download

Not all jobs will need/require a work permit for students. The following is a list of Canada work permit options pertaining to students enabling them to select the appropriate/ viable option.

On-campus employment

Pursuant to Regulation 186 (f) of the IRPR:-

A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit…… if they are a full-time student on the campus of the University or College at which they are a full-time student, for the period for which they hold a study permit to study at the University or College.

It is important to mention that the “authorization is valid for the period for which they hold a study permit at the institution and during which they are enrolled in full-time studies’.

Eligibility pertaining to On-Campus Work Permit Exemption is subject to the following Conditions listed hereunder:-

  • Valid Study Permit.
  • Full-time student at a “public Post – Secondary Institution, such as a college or university or a college Denseignement general et professional (CEGEP) in Quebec or a private institution authorized by provincial Statute to grant degrees”
  • Teaching/Research Assistants must be recommended by their department, directed by the head of department.

Off-campus work permits

  • Foreign/International students studying full-time on a Valid Canada Study Permit may be authorized/allowed to work off-campus without a LMO from Service Canada this is subject to the following conditions hereunder:-
    • The school/educational institution must be a participant in the off-campus Work Permit Program (OCWPP) by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). A list of the participating institutions in the off-campus Work Permit Program can be found at:-
  • It is important to note/mention that if the Student decides to chose/select this option he must comply/adhere with the following underlying conditions:-
    • Maintaining satisfactory full-time academic standing.
    • “Have studied full-time at a participating institution for at least 6 months out of the twelve (12) months preceding their application to work off campus”.
    • Sign a STUDENT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND COMSENT FORM (IMM 5582)- authorizing/allowing their academic institution/province to disclose information to CIC, for the purpose of eligibility for an off-campus work Permit.
    • Continue to fulfil/comply with the terms and conditions of study/work permit.
    • Comply with the eligibility requirements while participating in the program.
Don't forget!

“An off-campus work permit should be valid for the same period as the study permit. A study permit is usually issued for the duration of study, plus 90 days. The work permit shall authorize the student to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week “during regular academic sessions”; nevertheless they may full-time during scheduled breaks (summer, spring, or winter breaks).

Coop programs and Internship work permits

Foreign Students who are studying in a program that requires work experience such as through a Co-op internship Program.

The student must comply with the following conditions:-

  • Valid Study Permit.
  • Work experience is part of the curriculum.
  • Provide a Certified letter from an academic official of the Educational Institution.
  • Co-op or Internship must not exceed 50 percent/half of the Total Program of study.

Post-Graduate Work Permits (PCGW)

Foreign student/international students who have graduated from an academic program in Canada, that “lasted a minimum of eight months” will be eligible/qualify for a post-graduate work permit. The Canada Work Permit will be valid for the same duration as your Study Permit.

An extremely important advantage pertaining to acquiring/obtaining such a post-graduate Work Permit is that it is an open Work Permit, in other words you will not require/need a job offer in order to meet the requirements. Other Eligibility criteria must be complied with/met in order to be eligible for a post-graduate work permit such as applying for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written notification/confirmation from the academic institution corroborating that the student/applicant in question met the requirements of the course of study/program.