Temporary residents and visitor visa extension
Foreign national whose visitor permit in Canada is about to expire must apply for extension 30 days prior to the expiry date of his visa. Call us now for more information.
Temporary residents are people who come to Canada for a limited time to visit, work or study. Not sure about what you need.
A temporary resident visa is a visa that allows a foreign national to come/enter into Canada.
- Generally, visitors need a valid passport that will not expire until they leave Canada.
- Also, visitors will need to apply for a visa to travel to Canada, unless they are from a visa exempt country.
- Canada does not pay for hospital or medical services for visitors, visitors therefore should purchase travel insurance prior to arrival.
- If visitors want to stay longer, they must apply to extend their temporary resident status before their status expires.
How to extend a visitor permit (visa)
A foreign national whose visitor permit in Canada is about to expire must apply for extension 30 days prior to the expiry date of his visa.
Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor
This application includes the following items:
- Document Checklist (IMM 5558) (PDF, 35 KB)
- Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay, or Remain in Canada (IMM 1249) (PDF, 251 KB)
- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409) (PDF, 97 KB)
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) (PDF, 55 KB)
- Instruction Guide (IMM 5551)
This application is for temporary residents who are already in Canada as visitors and wish to:
- Extend their stay;
- Change the conditions of their stay; or
- Correct/Amend problems with their status.
Usually, individuals cannot come to Canada as visitors and convert their visitor visa into a work permit. They will likely have to apply for a wok permit from outside Canada.