Canada travel visa
A travel visa is required for people of specific countries who come to Canada for a limited time to visit. Under the travel visa, visitors become temporary Canadian residents. Contact us for more information.
Travel visa requirements
- Visitors must satisfy an immigration officer that they are real visitors who intend to leave Canada at the end of their visit.
- For example, they can show that they have strong ties to their home country (such as family, work and property).
- Visitors should have a credible reason for wanting to visit Canada.
- CIC may not believe that a person is a genuine visitor if the person has strong ties to family in Canada and no family in their country.
- Visitors must be able to show that they can and will support themselves and their accompanying family members without working while in Canada.
- Visitors must also show that they are able and willing to leave Canada at the end of their visit (valid passport, return ticket).
How to apply?
This application includes the following items:
- Document Checklist (IMM 5484) (PDF, 27 KB)
- Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257) (PDF, 338 KB)
- Family Information (IMM 5645) (PDF, 59 KB)
- Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada (IMM 5257 - Schedule 1) (PDF, 61 KB)
- Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409) (PDF, 97 KB)
- Visa application photograph specifications
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) (PDF, 55 KB)
- Instruction Guide (IMM 5256)
Do you need a travel visa to visit Canada?
The following list of countries and territories require a visa in order to enter Canada;
Countries and territories whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors
Citizens of the following countries and territories require a Visa to VISIT or TRANSIT Canada:
- Burkina Faso
- Republic of Cameroon
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- People’s Republic of Colombia
- Congo, Democratic
- Republic of the Congo
- Republic of the Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Israel (only Israeli citizens holding valid Israeli “Travel Document in lieu of National Passport”)
- Ivory Coast
- Korea, North
- Lithuania (holders of non-biometric passports only)
- Macao S.A.R.
- Maldives Islands
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Fed. States
- Myanmar (Burma)
- Palestinian Authority
- Poland (holders of non-biometric passports only)
- Sao Tomé e Principe
- Saudi Arabia, Kingdom of
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Taiwan (except holders of the ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes their personal identification number)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates